Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lessons Learned This Summer...

Well, since I haven't written anything on here in months, I figured it was time for another blog post! My summer was crazy busy, but so much fun at the same time. I am now a credentialed teacher, no luck in landing a full-time teaching position, but I've gotten on sub lists at a variety of schools, so hopefully in the coming weeks I will have enough sub jobs to keep me busy. I went to Haiti in June, which was incredible..I love it there so much..went to Maui in July with my family, did not want to leave at all, and seriously considered applying for teaching jobs there as soon as we got home..went up to Oregon at the end of July to go white-water rafting, and then finished out my summer full of trips with a week up at Hume Lake in August with the high school group. Needless to say, my summer was packed, not only with jaunts all over the globe, but with blessings that continue to exceed my wildest hopes and dreams :-)

This post is a mixture of some different things that I journaled about (actually I typed these up on my phone) during my time up at Hume, and some of the what I've written is paraphrased from my favorite devotional book-Streams in the Desert. God taught me so much about myself, and about his goodness and faithfulness this summer, and continues to do so on a daily basis, and I just wanted to share a bit of what I have been learning over the past few months...

~God really does hear your prayers...be persistent...He will answer them in HIS way and in HIS timing...He makes everything beautiful in HIS time and works out EVERYTHING for good...trust him, he truly does have your best interests in mind and will do whatever is necessary to bring you closer to himself and to reveal his glory and power through the work of his spirit in your life...the process will not always be enjoyable, and in fact will often be painful, but God does promise that it will be completely worth it...we get to spend eternity with him, and that is truly all that matters in the end~

~Never pray for an easier life-pray to be a stronger person...Christ will not lead us to greatness through an easy of self-indulgent life...we must continually be looking towards heaven...it is the difficulties and trials that lead us to greatness and ultimately bring God the most glory...he doesn't promise it will be easy, but he does promise that it will be worth it~

~Our insecurities can all be traced back to an issue with pride...God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble...it is so easy to compare ourselves to others and to complain about things that we don't like about ourselves or things that we feel we are lacking, but what that truly comes back to is a heart issue and a me-centered attitude in which we display pride and believe that we know better than God about what is best for our lives...Psalm 139- I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful-I know that full well...when we complain about our appearance or our personality and compare ourselves to others, we are essentially telling God that he didn't know what he was doing when he created us the way that he did, and believe that we know better than the creator of the universe...there is no one or anything greater than God and we should be humbled by the fact that such a holy and righteous being would choose to send his son to die for our sins and provide a way for us to be released from a life of sin and a future of eternal damnation...how can we display an attitude reflective of anything by pure humbleness and adoration when we meditate upon that truth?~

No comments:

Post a Comment